Software Engineering Summer InternSummary
The Software Engineering Intern will join the Technology team in a dynamic and growing Alternative Investments firm with a strong technology focus. Technology plays a critical role at GCM Grosvenor, enabling our team members to make timely, data-driven decisions in support of our clients. The software we build enables our team to deploy $71B+ in the most efficient, intelligent, risk-managed way.
Software Engineers are the backbone of modernizing our business processes using a forward-leaning technology strategy to extend the platforms that drive our investment decisions, create operational efficiencies for business teams and enhance overall employee experience. We leverage cloud-native technologies to drive the execution of both greenfield projects and projects extending the capabilities of our existing platforms and systems. We are constantly looking for opportunities to leverage new technologies to deliver data across the enterprise to vendors and clients globally. We have a strong and evolving use of cloud-based, serverless, distributed technologies including Azure Functions, SQL Azure, non-relational databases, Docker Containerization. We have a DevOps culture with a strong focus on automation, testability, and maintainability. The ideal candidate should enjoy working with optimized development processes in an environment that leverages SRE practices including continuous integration and continuous delivery.
The Software Engineering Intern will have the opportunity to work alongside industry and technology experts as a member of a software engineering team. The intern will contribute to the development of one or more applications/solutions that will be used at the firm long after the end of the internship. The ideal candidate should be seeking an opportunity working with optimized development processes in an environment that leverages SRE practices including continuous integration and continuous delivery.
The candidate should be available to dedicate 10 full-time weeks during the summer.Responsibilities
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
Education, Skills And Experience Requirements
- Work with GCM leaders to select a project or series of deliverables that you will complete during your summer with GCM.
- Create an approach and then design and execute on project deliverables.
- Participate in all team Agile ceremonies
- Leverage hands on experience with technology and learned practical approaches to solve real-world business problems. Create solutions the team will use beyond the internship period.
- The summer will culminate with an intern presentation showcasing what the intern created and learned throughout the internship program.
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
- Qualified candidates will be pursuing a Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field.
- Practical experience with Object Oriented Programming within classroom projects or outside job experience. Preferred languages: C#, Python, C++ and Java but acceptable languages also include, C, Ruby and Golang.
- Practical experience with relational databases and SQL programming skills within classroom projects or outside job experience. Preferred: MS SQL Server or comparable RDBMS.
- Practical experience with non-relational / NoSQL database skills within classroom projects or outside job experience. Preferred: MongoDB, Redis or comparable NoSQL.
- Experience with cloud database technologies a plus.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks within classroom projects or outside job experience is a strong plus. Preferred: NUnit, jUnit, , WatiN, Selenium.
- Understanding and experience with full testing lifecycle management and SDLC; namely Agile SDLC processes.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to client solutions and deliverables.
- Curiosity to learn new technologies and grow in every way.
At a Glance - GCM's Software Engineering Organization
- A modern software engineering group embedded inside of a financial services firm
- Teams follow a contemporary approach to software engineering focusing on test driven development, pair programing, continuous integration, distributed systems and other best practices
- Teams are empowered to deliver product requirements through cross functional team ownership
- A strong team culture inside and outside the office
- Adaptive to change and feedback from team members
We are not afraid to think differently. Embrace new ideas. Dream big. Welcome change. We are a culture of empowerment, accountability, high performance, and trust. Successful team members are self-motivated and energized by working alongside thoughtful and smart colleagues in a fast-paced environment. Individuals who thrive on this team enjoy being a part of an organization focused on excellence. We look for naturally collaborative individuals who enjoy interacting at all levels of the organization.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
A diverse, engaged team is critical to our ability to successfully create and deliver value to our clients. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where diverse professionals can thrive professionally, and we are dedicated to training, retaining and promoting minorities, women, LGBTQ employees, veterans and individuals with disabilities. 57% of GCM Grosvenor employees and 40% of executive management are women and/or ethnically diverse individuals. In addition, we seek to drive a more diverse, inclusive industry through our partnership with diverse professional organizations and by consciously working with subcontractors and vendors that are certified as minority-, women-, or persons with disabilities-owned businesses.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V
About The Firm
GCM Grosvenor (Nasdaq: GCMG) is a leading global alternative asset management solutions provider for more than 50 years. We have $74 billion in assets under management that we invest across investment verticals including private equity, infrastructure, real estate, credit, ESG & Impact, and absolute return investment strategies.
Our team of over 530 professionals is dedicated to delivering an exceptional value proposition for our global clients. The diversity of our employees is a driving factor of success, and is critical to our ability to create and deliver value to our clients. GCM has been committed to the advancement of small, emerging, and diverse managers for 20+ years. We are proud to offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package focused on health and wellness, continuing education, and work-life balance.
The firm is headquartered in Chicago, with offices in New York, Toronto, London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Seoul. Learn more at www.gcmgrosvenor.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V