Linearity GmbH, based in Berlin, is the publisher of Vectornator, a powerful and award-winning vector graphic design software that simplifies the design creation process. The platform has many innovative features and is trusted by leading brands like Apple, Disney, and Microsoft. Vectornator offers cross-platform functionality (iPad, iPhone, Mac) and iCloud Sync without compromising on power or quality. Our powerful software has reached over 7M downloads and has raised $35M+ in funding from some of the biggest Venture Capital firms globally (EQT, HV Capital & 468 Capital) and we have been recognized as one of Europes Top B2B rising 100 "Soonicorns" by Sifted. Our mission is to revolutionize the way people design all over the world. To accomplish that mission, we need you!
If you love creating new ideas, want to create products that transform the design industry, and are an outstanding team player, this position is for you. We are an international mix of driven, passionate, and talented people, brought together by a desire to create the world's best next-generation graphic design tool. Linearity is a global remote-first company, with an office in the heart of Berlin. You can choose where you work - in the office, 100% remote, or a hybrid of the two. Our flat organization has a culture of collaboration and teamwork that empowers our people to be brave and do what they think is best for the team and the company. We believe in the power of cooperation, brainstorming, and last but not least, in the power that each individual person has to make a difference.
As one of the founding Backend Engineers of our team, you'll play a key role in designing and implementing the services architecture of our bespoke cloud platform that'll enable our users to save, share and edit their vector graphic designs, from proof-of-concept all the way to production.
You'll be a member of a cross-functional team and work in close collaboration with Machine Learning Engineers, SREs, iOS/Mac Engineers, and Product Managers to build scalable and efficient systems. Your time will be balanced around building backend services, designing our architecture, and providing support to the other teams within Linearity. You'll also help our team stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and best practices in backend development to improve the efficiency, security, and developer experience around our systems.
Life as a Software Engineer (Backend) at Linearity:
- Design, develop, manage and support high-throughput scalable backend services, tools, and infrastructure.
- Solve performance and scalability issues on an evolving, growing services architecture.
- Participate in product planning, task refinement, research, and development.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams and stakeholders.
- Participate in code reviews, software testing, and debugging sessions.
- Contribution to our documentation through RFCs, ADRs, clear commits, and Notion pages.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code that follows our industry's best practices
- CS Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3+ years as a Backend Engineer with production-grade software development expertise on web services.
- In-depth understanding of the entire software development process (design, development and deployment, monitoring), continuous integration (CI) and delivery pipelines (CD).
- Profound knowledge of Software Design principles, including Object Oriented Design and/or Design Patterns with one or more languages like Go, Java, Typescript.
- Experience with software testing.
- Knowledge and experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB).
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in Agile Methodologies e.g. Scrum, Kanban.
- Experience in DDD.
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration technologies.
- Experience with event-driven architectures (e.g. Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS).
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and cloud architecture, preferably with the AWS stack.
- Experience with Observability (logging, metrics, distributed tracing).
- Experience with Machine Learning or AI projects.
- Open source software (OSS) contributions.
Ways of working:
- Flexible working culture/schedule (your choice of how you would like to work) 🖼
- Hybrid, 100% remote from anywhere in the world or relocate to Berlin (to work in our mobile office-work onsite in our modern office in Berlin) 🌏
Paid time off:
- 27 vacation days and 1 extra day each year of employment ☀️
- Family first: 6 months full pay maternity & paternity leave 🤰🏿
- Social responsibility: Take 2 days off to volunteer in a charity event
- Period leave: take 1 day off per month 🙇♀️
- Recharge: 4 weeks of additional leave for every 5 years of employment 🔋
- Further education: Training budget and free language classes with Babbel 🗣
- Birthday Gift: €50 euro to treat yourself to a birthday gift 🎁
- YourCampus benefit app: Through this app, you get a budget of 50 EUR and access to a wide range of benefits, starting from gym memberships, coaching sessions to vouchers for your favourite webshops.
- Relocation budget & assistance
- Latest Apple working equipment 💻
- All expensed company-wide retreats 🧘🏻
- Fun Stuff: Game events, Kahoot sessions, and onsite parties in Berlin 👾
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Here at Linearity, we're dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, where everyone has equal opportunities, so if you're excited about this Software Engineer - Backend role, but your past experience doesn't align pitch perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we really encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or another role. And as the saying goes "you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket".
Berlin / Remote