A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.What We Offer
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs
Benefits - We care about your well being
The primary responsibility of this position is application development for the Philadelphia Water, City of Philadelphia using Microsoft .Net framework. This includes designing, developing and maintaining mobile, web and desktop applications to support PWD business processes.Essential Functions
- Responsible for the development of applications (web and otherwise) in .NET to support PWD Business processes.
- Responsible for upgrading legacy applications to newer technologies and comply with enterprise security policies and standards.
- Responsible for the design of relational databases including organizing the information in
tables, setting up primary keys and foreign keys and table relationships, create views, functions and stored procedures.
- Develop Mobile web applications using newer technologies such as MVC, Bootstrap and Angular 9+.
- Develop and maintain interfaces to COTS solutions such as Maximo, Cityworks and CIPIT.
- Assists in working with clients to develop technical requirements to meet their business needs as well as with system support staff to identify technical requirements, including, connectivity, resources and other platform requirements.
- Help to coordinate the implementation of short- and long-term projects, objectives, policies and procedures for the production and maintenance of all application development related issues.
- Follow SDLC methodology including requirements gathering, solution architecture, coding, and testing.
- Follow best practices and industry standards to develop .NET applications.
- Collaborate and assist other team members in all the software development cycles to ensure adherence with the design requirements and the business needs.
- Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose solutions.
- Identify, create, and maintain development frameworks and code libraries. Create prototypes and functional specifications for application development projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Apply web application development standards and best practices
- Understand application architecture
- Work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the highest standards on time
- Ability to use analytical problem-solving skills to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and communicate them visually.
- Web standards, design fundamentals, browser compatibility issues for all operating systems
- Visual Studio (2015,2017,2019,2022)
- Visual Studio Code
- Microsoft SQL Server (2008,2014)
- Angular 9+
- Entity Framework
- Application Architecture
- Application Lifecycle Management
- Agile Methodologies
- RESTful Web Services
- Information Architecture
- Web standards
- Table-less Design
- Web Accessibility
- Object Oriented Programming
- Active Directory Authentication/Authorization
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university, which has
included major course work in Computer Science, information science, systems analysis or engineering
- At least 6 months of experience developing excellent solutions using Microsoft technologies
- Strong experience with CSS3
- Strong experience with JQuery, MVC, Angular 9+
- Experience developing web services
- Experience with the Microsoft .Net core framework
- Experience with enterprise relational databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and or Oracle
- Knowledge of GIT or Azure Devops is preferred
- Experience developing and deploying applications in AWS or Azure
- Are a Philadelphia Resident or can relocate within 6 months of hire
Salary Not to Exceed: $65,000
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Did you know?
Please note that effective September 1, 2021 the City of Philadelphia is requiring all new employees to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
- The successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to email@example.com. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx