Join us to Shape a better world!
Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, advisors and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigor to shape a better world
The Advanced Digital Engineering team is a global group of software developers, product managers, user experience designers and digital consultants within Arup. We use our collective talents to incubate and deliver technology-led solutions to clients, and in doing so help transform the way that cities, buildings and physical networks are planned and delivered.
Our team members are involved in the full life cycle of digital solutions, from ideation to requirements gathering, design, development, deployment and ongoing maintenance and support. Our organizational model gives each of us the opportunity to participate in critical thinking, creative workshops, software architecture, and feature prioritization. We encourage our team members to help identify and incubate new ways to leverage technology in our industry.
Our work is shaped by our values and the deep domain knowledge of in-house building experts who span the broad range of specialties in the built environment. Our data-driven solutions aim to empower clients to design and manage buildings more sustainably, deliver insight on urban resiliency from civic data, and empower city authorities to plan, design and deliver infrastructure projects more equitably, efficiently and with greater transparency.
We also collaborate with experts across our firm to develop and deploy computational tools to enhance their ability to perform design and analysis. Our team serves as a catalyst for automation across Arup. Every day we use elegant software tools, cloud-based web applications, novel automation workflows, geospatial tools, advanced data analytics, machine learning and more to advance the design and delivery of airports, rail networks, urban infrastructure, bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers and other key components of the built environment.
Our employee-owned firm promotes and supports forward looking research and development, and our team is deeply involved in the conceptualization, design, development and deployment of next-generation digital tools for our industry. We are looking for talented individuals interested in advancing their full stack development skills, and excited about engaging experts across the built environment to collaboratively build new digital solutions to help us reshape the world around us.
We are looking for a candidate with a background in digital design or interaction design who is interested in working with data and solving complex problems of the built environment, ensuring that our groundbreaking software solutions are useable, inclusive and accessible. This role is great for someone who wants to develop their digital design practice and influence the design approach to digital solutions at Arup.
You will be working in a team of developers, data scientists, user experience designers, product managers and you will often collaborate with other parts of the business on projects (building engineers, transport consultants, geotechnical engineers, urban planners, etc.). You will support user experience (UX) design efforts that will inform the development of software solutions. Digital is a growing part of the Arup business, and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about playing a part in shaping the future of the built environment.
- Support the planning and running of design workshops to steer product design and engage stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the User Research team to produce User Journeys that describe products and how users interact with them.
- Produce wireframes/prototype to illustrate user journeys for target users.
- Collaborate with the User Research team to produce a Usability Testing plan to identify design elements for testing.
- Iterate designs based on user research (personas, user journeys etc.).
- Identify and apply appropriate design standards and guidelines to ensure usability, inclusivity, and accessibility in all of our solutions.
- Contribute to developing design principles, frameworks, and best practice approaches to UI design.
- Work with front-end developers on CSS.
- Support Business Analysts and User Researchers' definition of user stories.
- Disseminate expertise on software interaction design through internal skills networks.
- Engaging experts across the built environment. You will work closely with industry-leading designers, engineers, and consultants to identify opportunities for digital transformation. You will be responsible for translating complex information and processes into accessible narratives to empower informed decision making.
- Communication through writing and presenting. Your role will involve the documentation of methods and outcomes. You will also represent the services and offerings of the Digital Insight team broadly throughout the firm, conveying the work we do to other teams through presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in software interaction design or similar field of study.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA or higher.
- 1 or more years development experience in a commercial environment
- Interested and curious about the built environment (no experience necessary)
- Research oriented, critical thinker
- Strong in object-oriented design principles
- Experience using 3 rd party APIs, frameworks and development kits
- Development and support of relational databases (SQL) and/or NoSQL technologies
- Familiarity with Agile Development methodologies
- Familiarity with version control tools such as Git or SVN
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future
- Master’s Degree in software interaction design or similar field of study
- Experience working with common design platforms such as Figma or Miro
- Graphic design capabilities and experience with common platforms such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong in Python
- Experience working in a development team environment using collaboration tools such as Atlassian
- Experience building web applications: web maps, websites, data visualization
- Experience with visualization techniques and libraries, e.g. D3.js
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day.
- Aviation Insights – A group of apps that allow us to evaluate levels of demand against an operator’s predictions ( https://www.arup.com/expertise/tools/aviation-insights ).
- Arup Solar – A collaborative design tool that analyses, in real time, a proposed building design, identifies how much sunlight it is likely to absorb, offers design options for shading and façade design ( https://www.arup.com/expertise/tools/solar ).
- As our reliance on renewable energy grows, it’s vital to ensure our offshore wind farms are performing as intended. Arup has developed a suite of digital services that optimize windfarm design and operation ( https://www.arup.com/expertise/tools/digital-offshore-wind ).
- If buildings had a ‘brain’, monitoring their systems and responding in real time, how much more secure, comfortable and efficient could they become? We are answering that question with Neuron, using artificial intelligence to make our buildings, districts and cities healthier, more sustainable places to live and work ( https://www.arup.com/expertise/services/digital/arup-neuron ).
- Open-sourced data and analysis to help NGO's, governments, and firms understand homelessness trends because of COVID-19 and resulting shutdowns. ( https://github.com/arup-group/social-data )
- Charge4All - Scaling curbside EV charging infrastructure using a digital enabled and equitable approach ( https://www.arup.com/projects/charge4all )
- Mobility Mosaic, a mobile application for collecting advanced travel data and informing urban, aviation and transport planning
- Arup Virtual Engage ( https://www.arup.com/expertise/tools/virtual-engage )
- Arup Inspect ( https://www.arup.com/our-firm/arup-inspect )
- Arup Neuron ( https://www.arup.com/projects/neuron )
Benefits that Work
- At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
- We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We consider all qualified candidates regardless of national origin, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or other status protected by law. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .